Monday, July 14, 2008

Doctor, we have a pulse...

I was just reading the latest post on my friend's blog and noticed that he changed the look of his blogroll. It now displays a list of his favorite blogs with an indication of when each blog was last updated. I saw some at the top that had been updated very recently (minutes to hours ago), followed by those less recently updated (days to weeks ago). At the very bottom of the list, I saw my blog, followed by the words "1 year ago." I have to admit I was embarrassed to read that. I clicked over to my blog and selected the link for the last post, dated Friday, April 20, 2007. After I re-read the pretty meaningless post (some book tag relay Internet game thing), I scrolled down to read the comments. My brother had posted a comment, a friend posted one, my wife posted one (at the 1 year mark), and there at the end was a new comment from my good friend Todorojo, added at the end of last week:

This blog is dead.

I think I had every intention of keeping this blog alive when I started it. Obviously, my intentions got lost somewhere along the way (they're probably just searching for the end of the Internet and will return when they've found it). In the meantime, as my friend very succinctly pointed out, the blog has died. To my credit, at least it was a quick, painless death.

Now, I'm bringing it back to life, kind of like the grasshoppers we used to catch in the fields (before the fields turned into subdivisions) during the summers when I was a kid. After catching them, we would drown them for 2 days, then wrap them in toilet paper and bury them in the sand box (don't ask me why). In what seemed like nothing short a miracle to me then, when we would dig them up later that day or the next, the grasshoppers would be alive and kicking and, of course, spitting that nasty, brown liquid (we called it "tobacco juice") all over our fingers.

So, yes, this is almost as miraculous, and yes, I'll try to keep the nasty, brown stuff to a minimum...

7 comments:

Moonsahra said...

Maybe no one else has yet realized that you've written again. Or maybe it is just that they don't believe you that this blog is really alive again... Don't let it be too long until you post again, or just let the thing RIP.

Chantalita said...

You know, I just discovered google reader and I looked all over trying to find your blog. I was beginning to wonder if it was even in existence still. After doing an e-mail search I finally found it from when you originally sent it out. I am glad to see that it has been recently revived. I was really beginning to wonder.

Elizabeth said...

I'd stopped checking your blog for some time, but good to see you're back. Let's see how long it will last. Also, you're sick.How could you torture living creatures that way? Who cares that they came out alive?

Adam said...

"After catching them, we would drown them for 2 days, then wrap them in toilet paper and bury them in the sand box"

Interesting. I think I'll try this with my roommate.

Ben said...

I'm sick? Todorojo is thinking of trying it on his roommate!

Elizabeth said...

No matter what excuses you give, this blog really is dead.

Anonymous said...

I don't know Ben, I think have you there on the dead blog...